6.06.2008

The Platform

So... I'm still alive... but it has been a while since I've visited the blog world. Well, here I am. Something has been on my mind today, so I thought I would take a minute and let you (assuming someone actually ever reads this) hear about it.

As a child, I would often ask my dad if I could go up onto the "stage" at church. He would always reply, "first of all, it's the 'platform,' and no you may not." It seemed at the time like an insignificant point, but as I've grown, I've learned what a valuable lesson it was. We live in a society of "America's Got Talent," and "American Idol," and that thinking so easily infiltrates our times devoted to worshiping God. We've become so accustom to people "taking the stage" and using their talents to entertain us in secular settings that we allow that same thinking to carry over into our churches and worship times. May it never be the case at Elkin Valley that we exalt the creation over the Creator! I've heard from more than one musician in my lifetime, "God has given me this talent [vocally and instrumentally] and I just know He would want me to use it." I could not agree more. However, I believe the Bible teaches that the gifts were given to not only encourage the church but to give praise to and point to Christ. In fact, everything we do[especially during our times of corporate worship] should praise, honor, and exalt Christ.

On a personal note, that's one of the criteria for the selection of songs and hymns I use in planning the times of worship. Do the songs praise, glorify and/or exalt God/Christ? or are they merely "feel-good" or "man-centered" songs/hymns?

Ok, back to my earlier topic... As one of my professors said in seminary, "It's my humble but accurate opinion" that pride, arrogance, and self-centered motives from anyone "leading" in worship is a stinch to God. In fact, when Jesus saw the temple being misused, He turned the tables over and drove the people out! Now that would be a terrifying experience.

It's my desire, and I hope it's yours, that our sanctuary be a place that welcomes God, where God's people gather to confess their sins fervently, lay down their lives humbly, and praise their Creator whole-heartedly. It's also my desire that our platform be used not as a stage to perform with our talents, but instead to use our talents humbly to offer our praise to our Creator, to spur God's people to worship in reckless abandon, and to exalt God's Word high as He speaks to us each week.

If I have come across strong, it's because I'm passionate about my/our worship of God... and I think He is too. Think about it next time you catch yourself using the word "stage." Is it simply a trivial substitution, or are you allowing a "worldly" view to infiltrate your worship of our Savior? I know that I'm constantly having to evaluate my motives and want to encourage you to do the same.

2 comments:

Liz said...

First, welcome back to blogging!

Second, excellent job. I look forward to every trip home, just because I know that I'm truly going to worship. You've done a fantastic job in making it about more than just people standing up and singing, and I really appreciate that. Thanks.

Joel said...

hey justin! great to read your blog-drop me a line anytime

404-983-7171

later