2.02.2008

To sing? Or not to sing?

(musical style)

Music in the church has been a subject of debate for almost two-thousand years. Can music be classified as sacred or secular? And if it can, is some music appropriate for worship and some not?
The fact is that music, apart from text or the idea of a text, is neither sacred nor secular. To illustrate this truth, I think of the desk upon which I am currently writing. I don’t know who made this desk. I don’t know their spiritual condition or even their intentions in the making of this desk. I don’t even know where this desk was made. For all I know, this desk could have been made for use in some cultic ritual. However, I do know that despite whatever the carpenter’s intentions, this desk is useful in assisting me in accomplishing the purposes and tasks to which I have been called. In the same way, despite some of it’s wicked uses, music in and of itself is neither sacred nor secular. Music is merely a tool or a vehicle for expression.
Music is such an incredible tool! Not only can we use it to enforce and proclaim our doctrine to all peoples (Ps. 96:1-3), but we can also use it to express our personal thoughts and feelings directly to our Creator (Ps. 147:1). In fact, the Scriptures are filled with examples, and even commands to sing and play instruments in worship to our God (Ps. 149:1-3; Ps. 150; Acts 16:25; Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16). It is even recorded that our Lord sang (Mt. 26:30).
This being true, which musical styles are appropriate for corporate worship? There are two basic criteria. Since music is merely a vehicle for expressing a text, the text must be clearly and easily understood/communicated. Secondly, the musical style must be one that relates to and is easily understood by the listener/singer. I can not tell you what a privilege it is to serve within a congregation who understands these principles. It is such a joy of mine for us to be able to worship together and blend great hymns of our faith with contemporary songs of praise, realizing that the same Holy Spirit which led writers to pen texts hundreds of years ago, still inspires His Church in writing the songs of our day. It is my hope and prayer that you look forward each week, as I do, to our blended worship services with much anticipation to see how God is going to move and stir His people.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Justin, I really appreciate this post. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to know that EVBC has someone that truly wants to worship, but is not tied down to one style. I'm looking forward to being home in a few weeks and worshipping with you.

Jody said...

I would like to say that I truly enjoy the music. I like the fact that you incorporate stringed instruments, drums, and alot of different voices singing. It lifts me up, and perpares me for Johnny's message. God Bless you both and keep up the good work.

ut05400 said...

Justin, I would just like to give you a big thanks. I see that we are trying new and different things (which is good). Some may work great some may not but with out trying we would never know. So that being said just keep on keeping on with what you are doing. Also Just remember in all that takes place to give the PRAISE, GLORY, & WORSHIP to GOD.

Jason Throckmorton said...

Justin it is apparent that you are in one accord with the God as you have begun your ministry at EVBC. Great work! I love the blend of traditional hymns, contemporary worship songs, and choral pieces. As one of the last posters said, it prepares my heart for the message each week. Services each Sunday and on Wednesday nights have renewed my individual focus on continual worship throughout the week. Praise be to God, He is almighty!

A Owings said...

Justin and Erin,

You two are amazing... Thank you for all that you do at EVBC. God is definitely at work and doing great things through you!!